If you haven’t already heard, consider this your opportunity: pre-engineered metal buildings are taking the commercial building space by storm. There’s nothing inherently “new” to the process or the pre-engineered metal buildings in general.
PEMB’s or pre-engineered metal buildings continue to grow in popularity because they are cost-effective, easy to install, and fit several different needs depending on what type of warehouse or commercial building you need.
Today we’re breaking down all of the details so that you can determine whether or not a pre-engineered metal building is right for you and your business.
What is a Pre-Engineered Metal Building?
Pre-engineered metal buildings are fabricated to fit the needs of your project specifically. The steel frames are constructed and designed so that less work needs to be done on the actual job site. This includes pre-cutting, pre-punching, and pre-fabricating portions of your design so that the building can quickly be assembled on site. Here are some of the advantages that are offered by using PEMB construction practices.
- Cost efficiency is a huge advantage and very prevalent in PEMB construction. The costs in PEMB construction are more easily predictable and controlled because the chance for human error or hidden problems to arise is much lower.
- Design flexibility is another advantage. Because everything is planned ahead of time and designed offsite, you’ll have the freedom to design and construct the perfect building for your needs.
- Decreased construction time – These buildings still take time to manufacture, but the amount of time from when you make your first payment to when the building is standing on your lot will be much less dramatic.
- Structural strength – Customized buildings and structured steel is built to last. All of the components are coated to resist corrosion and protect them from dirt. PEMB’s will stand the test of time and save you money.
- Easily expandable buildings are hard to come by. But PEMB’s are easily expandable and can be expanded due to the standardized processes and building materials.
- Low maintenance – maintenance on any building can be difficult. When it comes to PEMB’s, there’s little to no maintenance throughout the building’s entire lifespan. All the maintenance you’ll likely need to do is paint the building.
- Energy Efficiency is a huge benefit, but not just for the sake of energy efficiency. But, instead, because it has the potential to save you a ton of money. If your energy bills are out of hand, ensuring your building is built efficiently is essential.
- DIY Construction – PEMB’s up to 5,000 or more square feet can be shipped in complete packages that don’t need any changes made. All the pieces are designed to be easily put together.
- Insurance Savings – Wood-framed buildings are expensive to insure because, while they are in some cases less expensive to build, they aren’t as durable or long-lasting as pre-engineered metal buildings. Insurance companies will almost always offer you a cheaper rate if you’re ensuring a PEMB.
- Reduced Fire Risk – Metal doesn’t burn. It’s not too complicated, but that reduced fire risk is a huge advantage, especially if you’re dealing with flammable chemicals or any other products that run the risk of easily catching fire.
- Eco-Friendly – Almost every material used through PEMB construction is both easily recycled and sustainably sourced from previous projects that have been recycled or reclaimed steel during the recycling process.
- Relocation – If the time comes that you need to move your business or you want to sell your PEMB to build a new one, that’s not a problem. These buildings are easy to take down as they are to install, making them prime candidates for relocation.
For more benefits and details, be sure to check out the BuildingsGuide blog post here.
Always Customized Design
Steel structures are easy to customize, making them a great candidate for complex or unique design needs. While you might achieve the same design or function with different products, a pre-engineered metal building complete with a structural steel framing system will be one of the cheapest and most efficient options on the market.
Whether you need to build a rec center, a church, a school, or a warehouse, there’s a PEMB that can be designed and customized for you. While some drawbacks include that these buildings may not look as “professional” or fancy as concrete structures, they do get the job done easily.
Types of Businesses that Can Benefits from PEMB
The types of businesses that could benefit from a PEMB are truly endless. A construction project that utilizes a metal building is easy and straightforward making PEMB’s great for churches, schools, retail stores, e-commerce businesses, warehouses, grocery stores, and more. These buildings will easily handle almost any task and customization.
Finding a Builder
If you’re interested in getting your business into its very own PEMB, then you’ll need to find a commercial building that can help you. While you may find a design that you can DIY, it’s not likely going to be the easiest structure to put together.
When we’re talking with business owners about getting into their own PEMB, we like to determine their needs and location. You’ll likely want to work with a builder that’s somewhat close to where you’re located. That way, you won’t have to worry about any additional costs with the builder and their team needing to travel.
At APX Construction Group, we serve the greater midwest area with both design and construction services. If your business needs a PEMB or any other type of building, we can deliver everything from initial designs to permits and construction. Contact us today to learn more about our services and whether we’d be a good fit for you!